Research into the manufacturing and fabrication aspects of renewable energy offshore structures will focus on the themes of cost competitiveness through productivity, quality and logistic simplicity. The research strategy will be to understand the underpinning science and apply this to bring a step change in existing and new manufacturing processes. As detailed above Renewable Energy Marine & Offshore Structures bring quite different manufacturing challenges in comparison to existing offshore structures found in the Oil & Gas sector. The research programme is planned to address these challenges.
- Laser and arc hybrid welding
- Joining of dissimilar alloys
- Development of functional and graded clad layers
- Wire plus arc additive manufacturing (WAAM)
- Stress engineering and management of residual stress state
- High pressure underwater welding
Research in Manufacturing will be led by Cranfield University. Please contact Dr Supriyo Ganguly for further details.